Monday, July 9, 2012

Mondays Suck

Well, last week I took a mini vacation. It wasn't planned and I didn't let you all know, it just happened.

It was a great one. Filled with family and friends. The way its supposed to be.

I found myself a bit challenged today by life. That feeling when you really don't know the exact root of a crappy feeling, but you know one more stressful moment might just send you jumping on the crazy train.

yeah, that is me today.
I actually contemplated not writing today. I mean, who wants happiness advice from a bummed out blogger?

Then I realized utilizing this feeling to help others get out of it, could be a positive thing.
When I'm feeling like this, I just want a quick fix. I want a cheat to get to the happily ever after. Just a little something to reach the end of my day with at least a small smile on my face.

It wasn't long before I found what works most 100% of the time to battle the blues.

GRATITUDE.

When all seems gloomy, being thankful for even the smallest things in my life remind me of why I have so many more reasons to smile than cry.

I promise, it can work for you as well.

Get out a piece of paper, napkin, paper bag...whatever your format and a pen.

Write down just five things at this moment that you are truly grateful for. Maybe a moment that makes you smile all over.

Here is my list:

1. I'm thankful that just as I thought my Keureg was dying this morning and I might not get my much  needed coffee, I gave it a good old whack and I was back in business. Relief filled my mind and I believe I smiled.

2. I'm thankful that I could pass along some goodies from my garden that I grew with my very own non-green thumb to a sweet friend that paid me a favor.

3. I'm thankful that I got my sister's baby shower invites completed and in the mail today. Finishing a task always feels good.

4. I'm thankful for the perfect breeze we had all day today.

5. I'm thankful tomorrow is Tuesday.

There. Much better!

Now I have proof that my day wasn't so bad. There are ALWAYS things to be thankful for.

Being grateful is a powerful emotion.

There was a time that I really wanted a new car. I was researching and scanning the internet for anything loaded and expensive. After days of this, I made one of these lists because I was actually getting bummed out that the overpriced Range Rover only got 17 miles per gallon which is quite nuts when you live an hour from anywhere and I wouldn't be owning one now...or ever! RIDICULOUS!
My list was something like...I'm thankful my car gets me from point A to point B, getting 33 miles per gallon. I'm thankful I don't have a car payment. etc.

I haven't felt the need for a new car since.

Since then, I've developed a seizure disorder and haven't been able to drive for almost a year. The fact that I was bummed out about new cars makes me cringe with embarrassment.
What an ungrateful brat I was! Now, I thank my lucky stars for my legs that are strong enough to ride my bike to the store and needing a cushy new vehicle is a thought of the past that only brought me down.

No matter what your situation, there are wonderful gifts every single day, just waiting to be appreciated.

The negative can actually make the positives shine even brighter!

I hope this helped you. It helped me.
If you have any other tips for brightening a gloomy day, please share your thoughts in the comments.

Talk Soon
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment